Eatliz Eats Rabbits



This past Tuesday I found myself invited to a live show by Eatliz, an experimental progressive rock band from Israel. Having never heard of them before, I decided to do some research on them prior to the show. I came across some amazing music videos, one of which had won the Spike Lee Award at the Tribeca film festival. (HEY) I was pretty impressed, but still held a healthy amount of skepticism as I stepped into the venue.

The band boasts three guitarists, Guy Ben Shetrit, Or Bahir, and Amit Erez, a smoking hot lead vocalist, Lee Triffon, Hadar Green on bass, and Omry Hanegby on drums and percussion.

It took me three songs to understand their sound. They are not a band you can passively listen to once and get right away. They demand your full attention. Their songs are complex, dark, winding, and full of dissonance. Just when you think you know where they are going, they turn the corner and surprise you. But that’s exactly what I loved about them; they kept me on my toes. There was nothing repetitive or homogenous about their sound at all. There were moments where I wanted to pump my fist into the air in time with the commanding drum and bass lines until my arm dislocated from the socket. Moments of tenderness as the vocalist sucked you in with her haunting melodies. (Seriously, this womyn commands the stage unlike any other front man I have ever seen.) And moments of pleasant surprise as they shocked me with sounds I had never heard before.

This is a group of extremely talented musicians who are not to be taken lightly. Admittedly, they are not for everyone. But I’ve found myself becoming a true fan of theirs. They are finishing up their first tour of the States playing April 1st, in NYC at City Winery in Manhattan, and on April 2nd in Albany at Red Square. I highly recommend going and checking them out, you will not be disappointed.

Official Band Website

Comments

Broseph said…
Nice review. I like their sound. Had to find a pic of 'the 'front man' immediately, then listen to their music. She's hot

Popular Posts