2001 Obsession: Portland '09

I am obsessed with Phish's version of Also Sprach Zarathustra, or 2001. This particular 2001 is not anywhere near the longest, but there is something special about it in its compact simplicity. Without sounding too much like some over-analytical fanboi phish blogger, lets get into this 2001.

The intro has some nice drop-ins by Page and Mike. Mike's tone is dialed in with a big wet space bass sound. The composed sections are note for note perfect. Trey's guitar tone is exceptional. I love it how he makes the Languedoc scream in and out of distortion on the big long notes. Trey's playing is balanced in the funk jams with Page. Page shines on the keys and keeps the groove interesting. Fishman's beat is stellar throughout, but its the half time slow down at the very end that gives me goose bumps every time. I've been listening to this particular version about once a day for the past 2 months. Listen and let me know if you like it as much as I do.

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow really nice version of 2001 and a great vid too. I'm not sure I can ever get sick of that song. Kuroda's light work only makes it better, thanks for the post!

Popular Posts