Hampton, Red Rocks, and how it always works out.


photo: phish.com, Brooklyn 2004


I haven't talked about this as much on this blog as I have to my friends, but in my reality:

Phish always seems to work out for me.

I was lucky enough to go to Hampton through the kindness of 2 friends. My buddy Trey was able to hook me up with a ticket for Friday and Pauly was able to hook me up with 2 Saturdays, just two weeks before the shows. I traded a Sat for a Sun, and the rest is history. It all worked out, and I have no idea how. All I can say is THANK YOU.

There has always been something surrounding Phish, much more than the music. There is some sort of energy with the band- it is easy to feel but hard to describe. There are not many bands I would travel across the country to see- I traveled to see Radiohead 5 times last year, yet I have way more "crazy stories" from Phish Hampton than from all of the Radiohead shows.

If you are reading this post, you probably get what I am saying. What other band have you hiked ____ miles into a muddy festival for? What other band have you driven all night to get to the next show? I could go on and on, but the point is, there isn't one. Phish has something much greater than the sum of its parts. When the four of them get together on stage and we are there to see it, magic happens- and I'm not just talking about the music. The times you spend with your friends at a Phish show will be something you remember for the rest of your life.

It is discouraging to me how so many people trying to buy tickets got shut out of Red Rocks. I personally know over 30 true fans that were denied tickets today and live in the Denver/Boulder area. I think it is total bullshit, as I'm sure you do.

But, I truly believe if you were meant to be there, it works out. If you really want to be there, you will be there. And this is part of what makes these shows and other shows special. If it was easy, somehow it wouldn't be quite as sweet when I see you with a ticket stub in your hand.

So I say to you all: Good luck, and do not lose faith. We may have lost this battle today, but it is far from being over. If you believe that you should be at the show, you will be at the show. Stay positive, and believe. It will work out.

Comments

Pauly said…
I tired to get Merriweather tickets this morning. (That was a chore having to wake up at 7:45am in Las Vegas). Guess what? Sold out after 2 minutes. At 11:02 ET, I got the DENIED message.
Henry Holland said…
I'm at work today, and I've drafted two of my co-workers to sit at their computer and hit refresh for Gorge tickets.

I'm not optimistic.
Irongirl01 said…
I scored 4 lawn seats to SPAC. I may wind up with some extras if my Nephew scored tix himself.

I had 2 browzers open first one waiting room. second one i fired up launched right away and i was settled up by 1:04 EST.

ZOMG im finally going to see all four of them together live for the first time11 (simulcast of coventry doesnt count)
Irongirl01 said…
Word from the West coast: California Rob scored two tickets to each night of the Gorge but he needs another for each night
the joker said…
i was successful...got 2 - 2 day gorge passes, 1 for my friend Chris and 1 for myself or an extra. Also got 1 "premier" camping pass...
Henry Holland said…
I can't believe it, I got my 2-day Gorge pass + regular camping. My co-workers thought I was being killed with the all the screaming I was doing.

Joker, what do get for "premier" camping? A servant? :-)
the joker said…
i dont know what the premier camping is, but im sure its closer (or something)...i figured there will be 4 people in my car and it will probably be worth it...who knows. gorge campground is huge, when i was there in 2003 i got lost after the 1st night show for 3hours but it was kinda fun.
Henry Holland said…
Damn, I just Googled "The Gorge Camping" and here's what it says about Premier Camping:

Premier Camping
Enjoy the benefits and privileges Premier Camping has to offer. You will receive a reserved site within a secured area enclosed by 6’ cedar fence to create an enjoyable, private and secure atmosphere. Experienced staff on hand to provide needed information and attention and to monitor sites for unauthorized guests.

These campsites are extra roomy and easily accessible to accommodate larger vehicles i.e. SUVs, RVs or travel trailers. Sorry, NO HOOK UPS available.

All premier guests will have access to their clean, private restrooms and shower facility outfitted with flushable toilets, hot showers, electrical receptacles (for hair dryers or recharging cell phones) and toiletries for sale. Plus convenient clean, portable flushable restrooms are located near all premiere campsites.

Beginning at several hours before the show, private shuttle service to and from the amphitheatre’s Plaza Lounge then into the venue. An excellent way take advantage of this special, limited opportunity for early entry.

Free coffee available after show and next morning at the Premier recreation area.


Um, who's got my Premier camping for my regular camping? :-)
devilphish said…
Thanks for the shout-out on my behalf, Irongirl!

So ... "what SHE said" (or maybe, "that's what SHE said"), I need one more for each night of Gorge, and I've NEVER groveled before, so I hope I'm doing it OK :)

- California Rob

Popular Posts